Burial Assistance Program
The NVOK Burial assistance program is income/need based and is only available when there are no other resources available to pay the cost of the funeral/burial. Our Tribe provides minimum burial expenses according to the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) payment standards, which are established by the Assistant Secretary of the BIA.
- Deceased must be Alaska Native/American Indian who meets the criteria as required by 25 CFR 20.300.
- Income based and deceased must NOT have sufficient resources to be eligible. This includes, but is not limited to SSI, Veterans Death Benefits, Social Security, and donations from other organizations.)
- Deceased must have resided in the service area for at least the last six (6) consecutive months of his/her life.
- Extended family/surviving spouse may apply for deceased.
- Determination of need will be accomplished on a case-by-case basis using the BIA payment standard.
- Upon determination ha the deceased meets the basic eligibility requirements a voucher can be made to pay the following:
- Supplies needed to build/buy a casket
- Transportation of the deceased
- Funeral feast/potlatch
- If the family requests assistance for the funeral feast/potlatch, up to four hundred dollars ($400.00) may be provided (this is not in addition to the payment standard formulation related to the funeral, but is part of the cost.)
- The cost of transporting relatives to and from the community for the funeral is NOT provided with Burial Assistance funds.